Fears can be divided into following categories
- animals (for example, fear of spiders, dogs, snakes, insects, etc.)
- environment (for example, fear of heights or enclosed spaces)
- situations (for example, flying, diving, using the elevator, crossing a bridge)
- health and the body (for example, fear of seeing blood, fear of surgery, fear or dentists, fear of developing cancer)
- others (for example, fear of stuttering, sweating and choking).
The EMDR treatment of fears utilises so-called flashforward protocol i.e. care guideline that has been specifically designed for the treatment of proactive anxiety. With regard to the effectiveness of treatment regarding EMDR and fears and phobias, studies indicate that the treatment is effective after 1–6 appointments.*
*De Jongh, A., Holmshaw, M., Carswell, W. & van Wijk, A. (2011); De Jongh, A. & Ten Broeke, E. (1998); De Jongh, A. & Ten Broeke (2007); De Jongh, A., Ten Broeke, E. & Renssen M.R. (1999); Kleinknecht (1993); De Jongh, A., Van den Oord, H.J.M., & Ten Broeke, E. (2002); De Roos, C.J.A.M. & De Jongh, A. (2008); Doering, Ohlmeier, De Jongh, ym. (2013); Horst, Den Oudsten, Zijlstra, ym. (2017); Lohr, Tolin, & Kleinknecht (1996); Muris and Merckelbach (1995); Protinsky, Sparks ja Flemke (2001); Young (1994).